Dr. Tom Melius graduated from Texas A & M School of Veterinary Medicine in February 1945. His interest in veterinary medicine stemmed from working with his parents in the Melius Dairy and his first year in practice was dedicated entirely to the treatment of large animals.
On March 1, 1946, he opened the Metairie Small Animal Hospital at 805 Metairie road moving to 101 Metairie Road on August 1, 1952. In 1954, his brother, Dr. Henry Melius, joined him in practice.
During those years, in addition to his work at the hospital, Dr. Tom was the veterinarian for the Audubon Zoo and the Fairgrounds Race Track as well as the many dairies that operated in this area during that time.